Tue 06
Newhaven First
1st Team
P Cooper (68'), M Hollobone (80' Pen), T Capon (85')
Drama at Fort Road

Drama at Fort Road

By Steve Roberts
Share via

Newhaven FC 3-3 Langney Wanderers

Confidence should have been sky high after Saturday's fantastic result against Broadbridge Heath, well you would have thought so!

Wanderers started the match all at sea with Newhaven causing problems from the kickoff, Lee Robinson showed his goal-scoring prowess within 5 minutes, Earle played Robinson down the left, he switched play to Beale who crossed for Robinson who had continued his run to head over Dan Hutchins. Langney were left chasing shadows as Newhaven continued to produce some dazzling pass and move football. Even when Langney did have the ball they were being harassed constantly by Newhaven into giving the ball away or pumping it long.

On one such pump forward Simon Piper managed to retrieve the ball and make a jinking run down the left and into the box, contact was made by the defender but the referee wasn't swayed and waved play on.

Newhaven second was once again an excellent bit of play, The midfield was harassed into making another error and Lee Robinson got one v one against Mike Ginno, drove past him and finished left-footed under Dan Hutchins. We were simply awful, but credit to Newhaven they made us look like that, albeit with plenty of help by a clearly rattled Langney team.

Scott Taylor took an early knock which he couldn't shake off, so was substituted with Shane Saunders which enabled us to have someone more physical up top, even if less mobile. The game then started to enter a scrappy phase, which also resulted in Peter Featherstone picking up a sin bin after disputing a free-kick not given on him. With us trying to get hold of the ball, Newhaven continued to look the more likely to extend there lead. Thankfully the half time whistle blew to save us any more embarrassment.

HT Newhaven FC 2-0 Langney Wanderers

The second half kicked off with the dulcet tones of Kenny McCreadie Glaswegian ringing in their ears, but to the lad's credit, they started to dig deep and not give in. The early part of the second half got quite scrappy and niggly with neither team really getting hold of it, though it still looked more likely that Newhaven would extend there lead than Wanderers pull one back.

Newhaven got there third after Gary Ingram made a mess of a short corner on the attack and gifted Newhaven the ball. A swift break left Langney flailing behind, Ben Earle cut the ball back for Tom Cooklin whose shot hit the hand of Mike Ginno for Penalty, Ebou Jallow stepped up and put it to the right of Dan Hutchins.

It was time for Kenny McCreadie to make some changes and he took off Gary Ingram and Simon Piper, replaced them with Peter Cooper and Tyler Capon. Pretty much straight from the kick-off Langney grabbed one back, a simple ball down the centre wasn't dealt with and Peter Cooper just beat the onrushing Jake Buss to slot it home. The game then turned into a frantic period, with it going end to end. Lee Robinson had the chance to complete his hattrick and perhaps finish the game but hit the side netting. Tyler Capon's pace and directness were causing problems and the Newhaven defence who had looked so assured up to now started to get rattled by him and Peter Cooper.

Langney were now full of hunger, energy and desire which was so lacking in the first half. Wanderers second came from the penalty spot after Tyler Capon was brought down while trying to head the ball much to the protestations of the Newhaven team, Max Hollobone then slotted calmly home to make it 3-2.

It was Newhavens turn to look ragged, Langney continued to press looking for that equaliser and with 5 minutes remaining it duly came from a bit of quality from Tyler Capon. Tyler drove down the left forcing 2 defenders backwards, he then cut inside on his right leaving them for dead and fired it into the right-hand corner of the net leaving Jake Buss rooted. Comeback complete! I'd say that was it, but both teams still went looking for the winner with 5 minutes left but neither could find the knockout blow.

FT Newhaven FC 3-3 Langney Wanderers

It was probably the worst 45 minutes from Langney I've seen in a long while, despite that, the spirit and determination second half was outstanding. Newhaven are a very good team and will be up near the top again on that first-half performance. No doubt we will have days where we play much better and come away with nothing so we will take that result today and learn from it.

Langney Wanderers are sponsored by Sussex Cars 726726

#TheWanderers #ComeOutToPlay #LWFC #Eastbourne #Sussex

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 06, Aug 2019






Premier Division

League position

Langney Wanderers First
Newhaven First