Sat 16
1st Team
E Archibald (30'), M Hollobone (98')
Hollobone Grabs a Late Winner

Hollobone Grabs a Late Winner

By Steve Roberts

Langney Wanderers 2-1 Pagham FC

Match Report by Steve Roberts

Langney were looking to make it 3 wins on the bounce against a Pagham side who have been struggling of late.

Pagham kicked off with the gale force wind behind them in the first half. Both teams looked like they were struggling with the conditions early on as Pagham camped in the Langney half but without really producing anything of note while Langney struggled to clear the ball beyond half way.

Wanderers were forced into an early change as Richard Pingling pulled up with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Tyler Capon. It was Langney who would take the lead in the 30th minute. Following a foul just inside the Pagham half, Paul Rogers delivered the subsequent free-kick into the box. Tyler Capon judged the flight of the ball perfectly and nodded it into the path of Evan Archibald who calmly slotted past the Pagham keeper.

One of the most bizarre moments of the match came just before halftime. Dan Hutchins took a goal kick that the wind caught hold of and sent it back whence it came from and out for a corner and out of the ground.

Halftime (1-0)

Langney kicked off the second half but it was Pagham came out the stronger, with Langney looking a bit slow to get going following the resumption of play. We weathered the early pressure and started to get going, Langney were happy to allow Pagham the ball while we looked to counter at speed. Much like the first half chances were at a premium with defences on top, though it was Langney who perhaps went on to have the better chances.

Paul Rogers rattled the bar with an outrageous effort from 35 yards that had the keeper beaten, Max Hollobone had a couple of efforts from distance, while Tyler Capon had another effort stopped after being put through down the channel. Pagham would get there equaliser in the 73rd minute following a corner. The initial corner was overhit but a Pagham player sent it back into the mix where Langney couldn't clear properly. Ryan Davidson was quickest to react and score, the refs assistant flagged but after a discussion with the referee the goal was awarded.

This would give Pagham a much-needed boost, the game then became very end to end as both teams pushed for a winner. The drama was far from over though as we entered added time, Pagham had a corner which Langney cleared and were on the break, Gary Ingram looked to be fouled but the ref called a stop to play as Adam Davidson had gone down with a head injury at the corner. This added time would be pivotal to Langney getting there winner. Once again Langney broke and Max Hollobone picked up a lovely crossfield ball on the left, he drove on, cut inside on to his right and unleashed a shot from about 35 yards out which went flying into the top right-hand corner beyond a despairing keeper.

Fulltime (2-1)

It wasn't a classic due to the very windy weather conditions, which made playing football of any sorts very difficult. It always had the feeling that either a mistake or something special would perhaps be the decisive factor in the match and so it was to be with Max Hollobones 'worldie' of a goal. It was another excellent Langney team performance, once again we looked very solid in defence, while always looking a threat in attack.

It is also nice to be on the end of another late winner again, having been on the wrong end of so many late goals this season finally it seems the footballing gods are smiling on us favourably at the moment.

MOTM: Max Hollobone

Langney Wanderers are sponsored by Sussex Cars 726726

#TheWanderers #ComeOutToPlay #LWFC

Match details

Match date

Sat 16, Mar 2019






Premier Division

League position

Langney Wanderers
Max Hollobone

Player of the match

Max Hollobone